Esteban caught the racing bug at a young age, influenced by his older brother Andrés, and started karting at the age of 13. Following on from his karting success in Mexico, he stepped up to the Formula BMW USA series in 2007, his first foray into single-seater racing.
He finished second in the Championship and was the Rookie of the Year, helping propel him into the European Championship for the following season. He claimed the title by 26 points and clinched seven wins, six of which were scored consecutively. Esteban rounded out his Formula BMW career with third place in the 2008 World Finals in Mexico City.
Next on the single-seater ladder was the Formula 3 Euro Series, where he picked up two podiums. At the end of 2009, he tested an F1 car for the first time with BMW Sauber as part of his prize for winning the Formula BMW Europe title.
2010 saw him wrap up the Championship in the inaugural season of the GP3 Series with two rounds to spare and he also became test and reserve driver for Sauber F1. For the next two seasons he juggled his F1 commitments at Sauber with racing in the GP2 Series, finishing 13th in 2011 and third in 2012 (with three wins).
He broke into F1 with a race drive at Sauber for 2013 but it proved to be a difficult rookie campaign, with just one top 10 result. The following season was even tougher, though, and after leaving Sauber at the end of 2014, he spent the following season working as a test and reserve driver for Ferrari before making his return in 2016 with Haas.
Since his exit from Haas, Esteban has raced in a number of different categories, including Formula E with Techeetah and IndyCar with Dale Coyne Racing. Esteban supported our simulator programme in 2018 and joined the Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team as Simulator and Development Driver for 2019. Later that year, he also joined the Mercedes-Benz EQ Formula E Team as Reserve and Development Driver. In 2020, he will share reserve driver duties for the F1 Team on race weekends with Stoffel Vandoorne and play an important role in supporting the F1 Team.
- 2020 Formula One: Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team Reserve and Development Driver
- 2019 Formula One: Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport Simulator and Development Driver, Formula E: Mercedes-Benz EQ Formula E Team as Reserve and Development Driver
- 2017 IndyCar: Dale Coyne Racing, Formula E: Techeetah
- 2016 Formula One: Haas F1 Team – P21
- 2015 Formula One: Scuderia Ferrari Test and Reserve Driver
- 2014 Formula One: Sauber F1 Team – P20
- 2013 Formula One: Sauber F1 Team – P16
- 2012 GP2 Series: Lotus GP – P3, Formula One: Sauber F1 Team Test & Reserve Driver
- 2011 GP2 Series: Lotus ART – P13, GP2 Asia Series: Lotus ART – P11, GP2 Final: Lotus ART – P8, Formula One: Sauber F1 Team Test & Reserve Driver
- 2010 GP3 Series: ART Grand Prix – Champion, Formula 3 Euro Series: ART Grand Prix, British Formula 3 Championship: ART Grand Prix
- 2009 Formula 3 Euro Series: ART Grand Prix – P9, British Formula 3 Championship: ART Grand Prix, Masters of Formula 3: ART Grand Prix
- 2008 Formula BMW Europe: Josef Kaufmann Racing – Champion, Formula BMW World Final: Josef Kaufmann Racing – P3, German Formula 3 Championship: Josef Kaufmann Racing, International Formula Master: Trident Racing
- 2007 Formula BMW USA: Team Autotecnica – P2, Formula BMW World Final: Team Autotecnica, Formula BMW ADAC
Follow Esteban on Social Media
Source: Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team