Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton have renewed their rivalry in the first electric off-road series Extreme E. The first race, the Desert X Prix, is scheduled for this Sunday in Saudi Arabia. Rosberg X Racing and X44 teams are battling it out at the top of the timesheets in qualifying.
After two qualifying sessions Lewis Hamilton’s team, consisting of Sebastien Loeb and Christina Gutierrez, beat Rosberg’s team, consisting of Johan Kristoffersson and Molly Taylor, and took pole at the first Extreme E race of the season.
Althugh Rosberg X Racing (RXR) was better in Qualifying 1, Hamilton’s X44 team took pole overall, after RXR received a 60-second time penalty for speeding in the driver switch lane. Rosberg’s team will start the race from P3
In other Formula 1 related news, 2009 F1 champion Jenson Button, and team-mate Mikaela Ahlin Kottulinsky received a 175-second penalty for multiple infractions in the driver switch zone. The duo will start the race in P6.
The Semi-Final & Crazy Race take place on Sunday at 06:00 GMT, while the Final takes place at 10:00 GMT. All the action can be followed on YouTube.
If you like SilverArrows.Net, consider supporting us by buying us a coffee!
Here is the final Qualifying classification:
- X44 (Sebastien Loeb/Christina Gutierrez) 21:55.998
- Acciona Sainz (Carlos Sainz/Laia Sanz) +41.097
- Rosberg Extreme Racing (Johan Kristoffesson/Molly Taylor) +50.825
- Andretti United Extreme E (Catie Munnings/Timmy Hansen) +1:08.536
- Hispano Suiza Xite (Christine Giampoli Zonca/Oliver Bennett) +3:14.734
- JBXE (Jenson Button/Mikaela Ahlin-Kottulinsky) +4:54.880
- Chip Ganassi Racing (Kyle LeDuc/Sara Price) +2 laps
- ABT Cupra (Mattias Ekstrom/Claudia Huertgen) +3 laps
- Veloce Racing Extreme E (Stephane Sarrazin/Jamie Chadwick) +4 laps
You can watch Qualifying 1 here:
You can watch Qualifying 2 here: