Styrian Grand Prix FP3 cancelled, Qualifying in doubt

Source: Mercedes F1 Twitter

Race Control decided to cancel the Styrian Grand Prix FP3 due to heavy rain, while it is unclear if Qualifying will be able to take place on Saturday.

As predicted, heavy rain and thunderstorms have been raging in Spielberg since morning. At first Free Practice 3 has been delayed indefinitely, but it was ultimately cancelled.

The forecast calls for rain to lessen throughout the afternoon, but it is still unclear if Qualifying will be able to take place.

If rain continues to pour, there is an option of Qualifying taking place on Sunday morning before the race. For now it seems the weather will be much better tomorrow.

The final option, if qualifying is unable to take place at all, is for Friday’s FP2 results to determine the starting grid. In this case Valtteri Bottas would start from P2, while Lewis Hamilton would start from P6.

Ahead of FP3, Race Director Michael Massi further explained the options if qualifying doesn’t take place as scheduled.

“There’s lots of options to put it simply,” said Massi.

“If a worst-case scenario was to come about, we’ve already had a look and qualifying could take place on Sunday morning.

“If we had a complete washout on Saturday, free practice three and qualifying didn’t take place and hypthetically qualifying couldn’t happen on Sunday morning because of weather, we would revert back to free practice two times.”


Follow us on Twitter @SilverArrowsNet and like us on Facebook!

Comments are closed.