The FIA has started its inquiry into the events of the Abu Dhabi GP

© Wolfgang Wilhelm for Daimler AG

Amid increasing pressure from journalists and observers, the FIA has started it inquiry into the controversial ending of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on Monday.

Sky Sports F1 reports that the FIA has started its promised “analysis and clarification exercise” regarding the controversial events of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, that saw Max Verstappen win the 2021 championship, after race director Michael Masi ignored the rules and protocols of the Safery Car.

Sky’s Craig Slater has learned that the FIA has allocated three weeks to reach a decision on the events, and expects the process to be concluded by February 3.

The process will include interviews with all parties involved including Masi, the stewards, drivers and team representatives.

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem is said to be personally involved in the talks, while FIA’s secretary general of motor sport Peter Bayer is heading up the process.


If you like SilverArrows.Net, consider supporting us by buying us a coffee!



The inquiry has been described as a “matter of urgency” for the FIA’s headquarters in Geneva, and the governing body’s spokesperson has said the investigation will be ‘thorough, objective and transparent’.

As previously reported by Craig Slater, the results of this inquiry could determine whether Lewis Hamilton will return to Formula 1 in 2022.

Sky Sports also confirms BBC’s earlier report that Michael Masi’s position as race director seems to be in serious doubt going forward.

They also report that “a number of senior figures within Formula 1 now consider his position untenable”, adding that “several teams expressed a lack of confidence in his performances as race director during the 2021 season”.

Follow us on Twitter @SilverArrowsNet and like us on Facebook!

Comments are closed.

  • More Stories